The all Wales Infants’ and ChildreN’s Genome Service (WINGS) service is available for acutely unwell children with a likely underlying genetic cause. This test is currently only available on a trio basis. This means the child and BOTH parents must have samples taken. Alternative rapid genetic testing is available if only one parent is present.
Please contact the AWMGS on 02921 842577 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm) to discuss any child you think may be eligible for WINGS.
Essential Criteria for WINGS
1. Suspected underlying monogenic cause.
2. DNA sample is available from both parents and they are willing to consent to testing.
3. A timely genetic diagnosis (within 2-3 weeks) may significantly alter the clinical management of the patient.
4. The imminent demise of the patient is unlikely – if the clinical condition is worsening and death is likely, other testing strategies may be more appropriate. Please bank DNA (ideally before any blood transfusions) and contact Clinical Genetics to discuss.
High Priority Criteria for WINGS
5. There is no obvious single genetic test to do from the presenting phenotype.
6. The patient presents with a likely genetic disorder, but specific diagnostic tests available for that phenotype have failed to arrive at a diagnosis or are not accessible within a reasonable timeframe.
Please click here for the referral pack, which contains a clinical pathway checklist, request forms, consent forms (x3, one for each family member taking part), and a patient information leaflet.
Please find an editable word copy of the Request Form below:
More detailed technical information can be found here.
The AWMGS also have an on call service, which can be contacted on the same telephone number. Please contact the on call service if you would like a patient to be reviewed on the ward or if you have any other urgent clinical questions.